Sean O’Malley vs. Pedro Munhoz declared no contest
Sean O’Malley and Pedro Munhoz both arrived empty-handed at UFC 276.
The bantamweight bout ended in a no contest after an inadvertent peek from O’Malley (15-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) made Munhoz (19-7 MMA, 9 -7 UFC) unable to see out of his right eye. The stoppage came at 3:09 of Round 2. The bout opened the main card of UFC 276 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
Before the stoppage, the fight went down as a technical striking match with both patient men. Munhoz landed his signature kicks on O’Malley’s lead leg. Meanwhile, O’Malley tried to keep Munhoz at bay as he used great footwork and long punches.
The foul happened in the back half of round two and Munhoz immediately winced in pain as O’Malley’s open hand raked his face. Referee Jason Herzog called the cage doctor over to take a look. Munhoz told the doctor that all he could see was black. Herzog told Munhoz to take a few moments. After a follow-up conference, the doctor told Herzog he saw damage to the back of his eye. That was all Herzog needed to hear to give up the fight.
Initially, O’Malley demonstrated his celebration of the basketball jump. But his mood changed and he looked visibly disappointed as he walked over to Munhoz and shook his hand.
Since the foul was inadvertently ruled, the fight was ruled a no contest.
— ESPN MMA (@espnmma) July 3, 2022
The UFC 276 minute results include:
- Pedro Munhoz vs. Sean O’Malley ends no contest (inadvertent peek) – Round 2, 3:09
- Jalin Turner beats. Brad Riddell via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 0:45
- Jim Miller won. Donald Cerrone via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 2, 1:32
- Ian Garry beats. Gabe Green via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Dricus DuPlessis defeated. Brad Tavares via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- André Muniz defeated. Uriah Hall via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Maycee Barber won. Jessica Eye by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Julija Stoliarenko defeated. Jessica-Rose Clark via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 0:42