One-of-a-kind museum dedicated to the science of sight opens in San Francisco
Newswise – SAN FRANCISCO, California. – Today on American Academy of Ophthalmology announced the public opening of its Truhlsen-Marmor Eye MuseumÂ®, the world’s only free public museum dedicated to the science of sight.
âOn behalf of the City and County of San Francisco, I want to commend the American Academy of Ophthalmology for working to bring the Eye Museum to Fisherman’s Wharf,â said Mayor of London Breed. âThis new center will welcome visitors from all over the world and provide unique and interactive opportunities to learn about the science and history of our most precious sense: our vision. I wish the Academy the best of luck.
This was the Academy Foundation’s largest fundraising campaign to date, exceeding initial funding goal of $ 12 million and ensure free entry to the public. The three-year donation campaign was led by prominent leaders in ophthalmology, Stanley M. Truhlsen, MD, and Michael F. Marmor, MD. The museum was named in their honor.
Almost 400 other donors contributed to the successful opening of the museum, including: Alcon, Inc .; Allergan, an AbbVie company; Johnson & Johnson Vision; Bausch + Lomb; Carl Zeiss Meditec, Inc .; Genentech, Inc .; and Glaukos Corporation.
Based on a rotating collection of 38,000 artefacts, the museum presents:
- A large-scale eye model with a digital pupil and a hidden camera. Guests will see how the eye and the brain work together to see the world around us.
- Hands-on learning activities, including virtual reality headsets.
- Optical illusions and explanations on common topics ranging from blind spots to color blindness.
- Historical artifacts spanning centuries, including anatomical models and eye atlases, the evolution of eyewear, surgical tools, and examination room equipment.
- Exhibits exploring major eye health issues such as retinal disease, cataracts and glaucoma.
The museum is located in the Fisherman’s Wharf district of San Francisco. Admission is free and currently open to the public Thursday through Sunday, 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. PT.
For more information, see the museum’s media kit: www.aao.org/museum-media-kit
About the American Academy of Ophthalmology
The American Academy of Ophthalmology is the largest association of ophthalmologists and surgeons in the world. A global community of 32,000 physicians, we protect eyesight and empower lives by setting the standards in ophthalmic education and standing up for our patients and the public. We innovate to advance our profession and ensure the delivery of the highest quality eye care. Our EyeSmartÂ® program provides the public with the most trusted information on eye health. For more information visit aao.org.