Getting An Eye Exam May Minimize Damage From Eye Disease


The eyes can say a lot about your overall health. As you get older, certain changes that you may or may not be aware of often occur and can affect your overall vision. If left untreated, some of these eye problems can lead to partial or total blindness. However, there are a few preventative steps you can take to make sure you enjoy your vision for as long as possible. Whether it’s wearing sunglasses to keep the sun’s UV rays from damaging your eyes, eating fruits and vegetables for healthy eyes, or seeing your eye doctor at least once a year for a comprehensive eye exam, you can take charge of your eye health to enjoy sharper vision throughout your life. According to Elite Vision Centers, below are some serious eye conditions that can be prevented with eye exams.

Macular degeneration

Commonly abbreviated as AMD, this condition can damage and destroy your central vision. The disease can be dry, which affects 90% of patients with AMD, or wet, which is a more advanced form and affects the remaining 10% of patients with AMD. 90% of all severe cases of vision loss are caused by wet AMD. Some of the risk factors include age (over 60), smoking, family history of the disease, obesity, high blood pressure, and being Caucasian and female. While AMD is often painless and can slowly get worse, it can also cause sudden and dramatic changes in the patient’s vision. Therefore, getting an eye exam is often encouraged because early detection and treatment can slow the process of vision loss.

Cataract

This is another serious eye disease that can be detected and treated with eye exams. The condition is characterized by cloudy lenses and may become more noticeable in one eye before affecting the other eye. This often results in blurred vision because little light can pass through a cloudy lens. While cataracts may not affect vision at first, they eventually do after they become denser. Risk factors include aging, diabetes, eye trauma and injury, eye surgery to treat another problem, a family history of cataracts, pregnancy-related causes, smoking, certain medications, and overexposure of the eyes. UV rays from the sun. Symptoms may include faded colors, blurry or cloudy vision, poor night vision, increased glare from lamps, and doubled / phantom vision.

Diabetic retinopathy

This eye disease usually affects people with diabetes. It tends to affect both eyes. Vision loss is often the result of damaged blood vessels caused by the disease. Diabetes (type 1 or type 2) is a major risk factor; although your vision may not stay the same as the disease progresses. Symptoms can include blurry vision and floaters.

Glaucoma

Although symptoms are not immediately visible until the disease damages the optic nerve, glaucoma is a serious eye disease that can be detected during a routine eye exam. The condition is characterized by an escalation of intraocular pressure (pressure inside the eye), which can damage the nerves that transmit images to the brain.

These are serious eye diseases that can lead to vision loss. Ophthalmologists recommend that you have an annual eye exam to help find and treat them before they progress to more advanced stages. This is especially important if you are at risk of getting any of these eye diseases.


Comments are closed.