Building fires: Heersink seeks long-term impact with UAB donation | Local News


Vickers said he and UAB president Dr Ray Watts started discussing the name of the medical school several years ago – a possibility that has been heavily debated among school officials. .

“There are few public schools that have that investment and that nickname, having a name brand if you will, displayed on them through a donation or the generosity of a donor,” Vickers said in a question and answer session. – responses Thursday with the media. “But yet, we recognized that it was certainly in our desire because our aspirations are to continually be a national leader in all aspects of health care, education, training and clinical care to our people. patients. “

According to Vickers, 75% of the donation will be used to support the programs, chairs and academic chairs created with the donation in the long term. The remaining 25% will be spent to establish these programs – the Marnix E. Heersink Institute for Biomedical Innovation and the Mary Heersink Institute for Global Health. The Biomedical Innovation Institute will be based in Birmingham, but UAB has committed to a Dothan-based component and presence.

Vickers said the new programs and positions help attract highly skilled people to the state and keep them here. He said the programs will impact the state’s economy by bringing in dollars and creating opportunities for new businesses.

“Or, more concretely, providing innovative care so people don’t have to travel to Minnesota, don’t have to travel to Baltimore, don’t have to travel to Boston,” Vickers said. reference to respected hospital locations such as Mayo Clinic and John Hopkins. “And it’s a luxury this state has had at UAB that very few of our southern peers have, and there are very few public schools that have that capability.”


Comments are closed.